Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bienvenidos a Honduras

Thanks for everyone's prayers. I finally made it to Honduras safely. And better yet, I have yet to get sick! Internet is probably going to happen once a week. But for the meantime, I've been keeping notes on what has happened.

Day 1
I can't beleive I'm finally in Honduras! We woke up extra early, stood in a daze at the airport for hours, one 4-hour flight and a 1-hour bus ride later, I'm seeing the gorgeous cool, evergreen-covered hills of Zarabanda. I've unpacked most of my things into my fairly nice room with a desk, chair, clothes-hanger, and a double-size bed (pictures to come later). My parents are Eva Argentina and Daniel, in their 70's, and my brother and sister, Raul and Ana. Ana is a cool gal who is a ceramics artist for the bearby Valle de Angeles (where I am now with the internet). I had a frightening feeling when I first arived - that I had no clue what I got myself into. But now, all is great! I just have to learn how to manuall flush the toilet, and how to properly take a bucket bath (we'll find out in the morning)! Next up is gonna be handwashing my laundry in the pila. But I'm getting ahead of myself. One day at a time. I'm sticking with my new motto: Hakuna Mattata.

Day 2
First run at the bucket bath. It's everything I expected. I laid in bed contemplating my plan while the roosters called for sunlight. Had a nice, 15 minute walk to school with my neighbor, Eric. We live in a small community with just a few families. It's nice and tranquilo. We started with some frightening safety sessions and spent the rest of the day in "survival" Spanish classes. Turns out I know a little more Spanish than I give myself credit for, but we'll settle that tomorrow when I have my language interview to asses my level of proficiency. This is what will determine which class I will be in for the next few weeks. We also received some emergency supplies today: salt tablets, subscreen, bug spray, ibuprofen, a mosquito net, and my favorite, that malicious malaria medication we've all heard so much about. Also, tonight I went to church with my hermana, Ana. It was at a friend's house. Thought I didn't understand everything or talk to that many people, I did understand some. And it was encouraging.

Day 3
Cold shower. Good breakfast. Language interview. Spanish class. Tasty lunch. Walk home. Play fútbol. Very tired. Yummy dinner. Cold shower. Buenas Noches!

4 comments:

  1. LOL I totally know how to flush a toilet manually! And I miss taking bucket baths and hearing the roosters!! Keep some lotion close to you when you wash clothes by hand... they will get dry. Glad you've enjoyed your first few days so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to finally hear from you and know that (a) you're not sick and (b) your host family situation is good and (c) you already found a church group. YAY! Your dad and I have lots of experience with bucket baths - no biggie, but I do think of you when I'm savoring my hot shower. LOL
    Excited to hear how you did on your Spanish exam - I'm sure it was muy bien. Te extraño, mi hijo, pero me siento muy feliz que todo va bien contigo. Dios te está bendiciendo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam,

    A suggestion on the anti-malaria medicine. I too have heard that it can be pretty nasty. One thing that was encouraged for us is to take a daily pepto pill to coat the stomach and make digestion easier.

    Praying for you!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to hear all is well!

    Remember to trust in the Lord, with all of your heart. And... lean not on your own understanding, but in all of your ways to follow Him.
    (Proverbs 3:5-6)

    Continuing to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete