Monday, December 5, 2011

Half of Life

Half of life is showing up. This couldn't have been made more obvious to me than it was the other night.

It's the end of the year and everyone is either harvesting coffee or finishing school. The high school held its graduation ceremony this past Friday and I was formally invited by one of the teachers. I arrived 15 minutes late to the main salón. I'm really trying to show up late to things, but it's hard. Fifteen minutes wasn't enough. I stood around awkwardly with the few other early birds for another 45 minutes. I don't know how it always happens, but la hora Hondureña is one hour later. And if you think like that, they're pretty much on time.
The ceremony started and there weren't enough seats for all the people that came, so I casually took my spot standing in the back leaving room for the elderly and baby-laden. No big deal. The MC starts by calling out the special guests and follows by saying my name. Wow! I'm a VIP?! So I walked past everyone already seated to sit in the special chairs reserved up front for several of the other teachers and special guests. It's nice to be remembered even when you haven't been around the school since it let out almost a month ago. As if that wasn't enough, the principal got up to give her speech thanking the everyone for their contributions to make this graduation possible - the teachers, the parents, the students, me... wait, me?! She included me individually in her speech saying how thankful she and the school were for my being here and sharing my "vast knowledge" with them.

I almost teared up. It was so nice to not only be remembered, but to be appreciated when you felt like all you did was show up. I don't always feel like I'm making the impact I'm supposed to or that I'm changing people's lives. But... sometimes all it takes is showing up. I'll let you know when I figure out the other half.

The Co-op
Our beautiful solar panels and coffee plant.
Coffee season is in full swing. However, all the nice machinery we were supposed to have installed to process it (first solar-powered coffee dryer in Honduras)... it's on the Honduran time schedule. Looks like we won't be using it until next harvest. But the wet processing machine is here (the machine that separates the coffee bean from the cherry) and we're waiting for it to get installed so we can accomplish at least half of the process before exporting. My job this week was to make some work plans of the facilities, drawing a map of where the machines are inside the building and what part each one plays in the process.

We currently have an auditor visiting from one of our sponsoring organizations. He's helping us get all of the paperwork and numbers in line so they can continue giving us money. I know what you're thinking: Adam, weren't you supposed to be doing that? Maybe? I'm learning my strengths lie in things other than accounting (as any of my accounting teachers will agree), like organization and process management. We're trial-testing our paper and receipt system so that when the coffee starts coming in (and we incorporate the dryer next year), the process will be smooth and painless, as opposed to spontaneous paper shuffling.

Why I Love Breakfast
Now serving Nutella crepes served with fresh-squeezed orange juice and ham and cheese omelettes topped with fresh avocado. Can't decide? Have no fear. Breakfast can be eaten morning, noon, or night so you can enjoy both of these dishes in the same day.

Whiskey's Corner
OK, so that little fight he got into last week that resulted in a "minor bump"... Well dogs fight with two things, their paws and their jaws, the latter being more effective. Well inside those jaws are large, sharp teeth and it was one of these teeth that struck the final, winning blow to my poor little puppy's head. The "minor bump" turned out to be a puncture wound from a fang that was infected. I'll spare you the details, but he did slightly resemble Frankenstein's creation at one point. But we're on a not-so-friendly treatment plan now where I restrain him a few times a day while he whimpers and I clean his wound. Luckily, he doesn't look like a fat-head anymore and he's back to being his rambunctious self. I refrained from pictures. You're welcome.

Coming up: Donkey Polo back in Yuscarán.
Also, I've started working on my detailed posts about the coffee process, so stay tuned!


"80% of success is showing up."
-Woody Allen


Adam & Whiskey

1 comment:

  1. Nice use of the Dilbert comic.

    That's pretty awesome they honored you like that! It's always hard to know you're being useful/helpful when you don't FEEL like you're doing anything.

    Glad you were able to see the fruits of your 'labor.' :)

    Tell Whiskey he needs to get better soon so he can play with the racquetballs he's getting for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete