Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Life Goes On?

Or does it?

I know it's been an incredibly long time since my last entry, but I didn't forget all of you faithful followers! Oh, I've thought about posting several times since I've been back, though the lack of living in another country has given me pause. I suppose I left a lot unspoken since my fateful return.



Honduras
After sending us all home on January 15th with a month of severance, Peace Corps conducted a one-month security assessment while the program was suspended. At the end of one month, we received an email notifying us of their recommendation to the Peace Corps Director in Washington that further changes will need to be made before PC/Honduras is considered safe enough for Volunteers to return. So as of February 15th, I officially became a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV), not to return to Honduras. And I also became officially unemployed.

No doubt many of you also saw the headlines a few weeks ago: Comayagua prison fire killed 355. Tragedies continue to plague this dear country I have come to love. I don't know when I'll be going back, but you can be sure I will. Someday.

Culture Shock
I've probably been asked about this the most. The short answer is: it's not as hard as I thought. The long answer... well, let me explain.

It's not your textbook case of culture shock. Granted I was only in Honduras half of the planned time, but part of the reason I left was because I got tired of the American life, so there wasn't ever a strong urge for me to come back. I didn't daydream about being back, or cry at night because I missed (insert your favorite thing here). So when I came back, I wasn't anticipating anything to make me feel like I was home. And my best strategy was to treat America like any other foreign country you've never been to before. People do strange things here, most of them don't speak Spanish, they almost all drive cars (and hitchhiking is not common), and spend money on the most ridiculous things!

Basically, I've been waiting to start my next adventure more than anything else. I still have that annoying little spark inside of me that won't let me sit still and be content. So I've been fantasizing about the next country, the next job, the next experience. Upward and onward!

If anyone knows of any exciting opportunities, let me know! (Ideas include jobs in Spain, for-profit development work, international banking, etc.) More to come next time...


Adam

1 comment:

  1. Your "upward and onward" statement reminds me of a line from "The Magician's Nephew" (part of the Chronicles of Narnia series). The phrase they use in that book is, "Farther up and farther in."

    In the context of the book, Narnia has just been created and the creatures are all running towards a garden (insert parallels to Christianity and the Garden of Eden). The farther up and in they go, the more joy they feel, and the closer they become with Aslan (aka Jesus).

    So for you, I pray that you do go onward and upward! Farther up and farther in! Closer to the heart of God with ever increasing joy along the way!

    ReplyDelete