Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Other Gringos

Last Monday I saw a bunch of white people in my town.

I had heard rumors that the Methodist church brought in groups every so often, but my initial reaction was almost defensive of my position as sole gringo in Subirana. However, I decided it would be rude not to introduce myself and there’s a possibility we could work together in the future. As I was approaching their group seated on the sidewalk, a bolo (drunk) carrying a machete (arma blanca) came wandering straight for us. He had just wandered off from the colegio a little earlier, but I was surprised to see him wandering up a street opposite the school. The normal advice in this situation is to run away. But I had to do something to save my American soon-to-be friends. Fortunately enough, this guy was only mildly drunk which means I could actually understand most of what he was saying and he had an inkling of rationale left in his brain. I intercepted him from shaking everyone’s hand and asked him where he was going and attempted to usher him in that direction. He stopped me to let me know that he was a Christian and a tranquil drunk. Oh, OK, great? I told him he was scaring everybody by walking around with a machete and they didn’t know he was a Christian and a tranquil drunk, so he should put it away or get rid of it. At this point you have to realize that the other Americans don’t speak a word of Spanish and have no idea what I’m saying to this guy. The only thing they see is the bolo squatting down to lay his machete on the ground and lift up his hands in semi-surrender to show he means no harm. I think that’s the reason they invited me, Bolo Master, to dinner. The drunk made a good point: you can’t just drop your machete on the ground and walk away. So he eventually asked me for money before walking off with his machete towards the park where all the children were playing… Don’t worry. I stopped him and told him to go another direction.

Status: Threat mitigated. Dinner acquired.

It was nice to have a taste of America for a week. I was able to share a couple meals and sit in on some processing sessions as many of them recounted the first day arriving here, which for many was the first time out of the States. Others were so overwhelmed by the day-to-day events they forgot what happened the first day. In either case, they were experiences and feelings that, though I used to share them, now contrasted to my own. I’ve become more accustomed to the cold showers – I don’t shiver or seize up. And bucket baths… been there, done that, still do it on occasion (just to take me back). The garbage everywhere, it starts to become a blind spot. The “extreme poverty” doesn’t seem very extreme.

The question it left me asking is this: What is normal?

Normal is the thing that makes us comfortable in our environment. Adapting is what makes us human. But are there things we shouldn’t adapt to? Are there some norms I shouldn’t change? Wouldn’t it be great if I had some profound insight to share with you regarding these questions? All I have are questions. I’ve already set myself up to throw my previous definition of ‘normal’ out the window, but talking with some other Americans who have a fresh perspective on my town makes me reconsider what I should label as ‘normal’ and what still shouldn’t be normal.

What’s normal for you?

2 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity I looked up the definition of Normal: "conforming to the standard or the common type" (dictionary.com).

    With this definition and the statement of your reconsidering 'normal,' I think of Romans 12: 2, "Do not be conformed to this world..."

    Now I come back to your question with a little regret of what I consider to be normal: Everyone having a car with A/C, having an excess of money to cover your costs and spend on luxuries (or using credit to spend on luxuries), phones with built-in computers, and a lot more. When I look at my 'normal' compared to 'normal' in a different country, the guilt starts to creep in.

    Then I read the rest of Romans 12:2, "...but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" (ESV). So I do not need to feel any type of guilt for what God has blessed me with, but I need to be careful about where my praise and worship is directed. This needs to be focused on the Giver and not the gifts.

    Remembering also that Paul said he learned to be content in all situations, it seems that 'normal' should not be based on situations I am in (emotions, location, possessions, or people), but 'normal' should be based on my relationship with Jesus.

    This is something that will need to be meditated on further. Great question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam, I love you so much! You crack me up with your stories - you're a great writer, and a very observant observer.

    Normal is a discussion we have in class a lot, talking about students. It seems a lot of the educational programs designed to help students be successful are based on "normal" white middle-class values, and then we're confused when they don't work. I posed a question on our discussion board this week about helping students who are not white and who are not middle-class - are we supposed to teach them to conform to the "normal" values, or should we adapt our educational system to reflect the values of most of the students? For instance, students in poverty tend to place a higher value on relationships than on academics - how can we use that as a strength that will help them academically? It's an interesting question...

    I can identify with you feeling like everything around you is perfectly normal, and then being reminded by others that it doesn't seem normal to them. But put any of your catrachos in Seattle, and they'd be feeling the exact same way as the gringos are there. Normal is what you're used to, I guess. If that means you're okay living with garbage everywhere, what's the big deal? :)

    I really appreciate your question about what should we accept as normal and what should we strive to change - ultimately, I think that answer can only come from the Word (the written one and the living One). Read and listen, and you'll know what projects to take on and which ones to accept as normal.

    (Nicely put, Drew - guilt is not from God. He is the Giver, as you said, and He gives good/GREAT gifts - enjoy them! He gives Androids to you, and the gift of living without them to the folks in Subirana - and both parties are happy with their gift!)

    ReplyDelete