Monday, November 21, 2011

Giving Thanks

This week I'll be reuniting with several volunteers to celebrate Thanksgiving. A great American tradition that doesn't exist here in Honduras (they have a different feeling about the pilgrims). One short 6-hour bus ride away to La Paz where I will be giving thanks with several other volunteers at an orphanage (complete with orphans) marking this as my largest Thanksgiving gathering. We'll all be cooking and sharing some American tradition as well as some of the many things for which we are thankful.

You'd think when so many things are removed from your life that you might not spend very much time being thankful, but I like to think it highlights the things you're really thankful for in life.


Things I'm thankful for:
  • The grace and mercy of my Jesus, without whom my heart wouldn't beat nor the sun shine.
  • The sun. I like being warm while seeing your FB pics of Snowpocalypse II.
  • Family. Even miles away, they're still the closest ones to me. Love you Mom, Dad, and Drew.
  • Cell phones. Who doesn't have one of these? Always a lifesaver, and a lifeline.
  • Whiskey. My puppy. (But I'm thankful for Jack Daniels, too).
  • Hot shower. Have I mentioned how much I love my electric shower?
  • Running water. Don't have it all the time, but man, it's great when I do!
  • Electricity. Who likes candles and cold food?
  • Friends. You can find 'em anywhere, but that doesn't make them cheap.
  • Clean clothes. I'm thankful for the lady that washes them every week.
  • Internet. Need I say more?
  • Peace Corps. Who else would pay me to live in Honduras for 2 years?
  • Volunteers. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're all I've got.
  • Baleadas. By far my favorite Honduran food.
  • My house. It's not the best, but it's my own.
  • My health. I missed you for your week-long vacation. Welcome back.
  • Holidays. We all need a good excuse to skip work and eat lots of food.
  • Guitar. My great solace.
  • Camera. Capturing those unforgettable moments, and the ones you hope not to forget.
  • Ipod. What would I do without you? Bus engines, crying infants, toothbrush salesmen...
  • Buses. Love to hate 'em. My only escape route.
  • America. God bless you.

Foods:
Getting ready for pseudo-American food, turkey and pumpkin pie included! Pictures to come...
Did try a variation on chocolate chip cookies. In my book, it was a success. Substitute tsp of chili powder and cinnamon for the usual vanilla. Gives a little heat to the aftertaste.

Whiskey's Corner:
I went on an overnight trip this last weekend and left Whiskey at my friends' place. I came back Saturday afternoon to find him sitting on my porch! Apparently my landlord saw him wander back and forth a couple of times seemingly looking for me. Not the smartest thing ever, but definitely the most loyal. Unfortunately, I don't feel like putting him in a bag on a 6-hour bus ride so he will be staying here, maybe wandering, for Thanksgiving.


"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."


Adam & Whiskey

1 comment:

  1. Have a good trip to La Paz, and enjoy your Thanksgiving! Bring a little turkey back for Whiskey so he can also share in the American festivities.

    I am thankful for and love you also!

    ReplyDelete